Friday, February 28, 2014

Just Like Big Publishers - Indies Can Set Up Pre-Orders Too

Have you ever wondered how a book that has only been released days earlier manages to shoot to the top of the best-seller lists immediately? I always have, until now.

Recently, I watched the roll-out of a well known author's new book. It was interesting to watch because even before the title was released, there was tremendous marketing buzz. I thought it peculiar because one would think it better to be promoting a title when it was available, rather than before so. That's when I learned about pre-ordering - a concept that was entirely new to me. The promotions for this new title were not in vein at all but rather a great marketing tactic to get high sales numbers right off the blocks on the day the title is released.

I wondered, is that something I could take advantage of? As an independent author, I had my doubts. It did not appear that I could do that until I learned that Smashwords has such a program. Mark Corker, head guru at Smashwords has put together a presentation entitled, "Hit the Ebook Bestseller Lists with Preorders ... A Guide to Preorder Strategy". Follow the link for the online presentation.

Thanks, Mark! I plan to follow these words of wisdom with my next independent release.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember everyone can read your comments - be honest, but be nice :)